What You’ll Need:
- one whole chicken
- small onion
- 1-2 stalks celery
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons sage
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon lemon/pepper seasoning blend such as Mrs. Dash
- Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the chicken and in the cavity.
- Combine herbs and salt (mix enough to sprinkle heavily over the chicken and in the cavity).
- Sprinkle cavity and skin with salt/ herb mixture.
- Cut onion in half and place into the cavity along with the celery stalks and the lemon half.
- Place chicken, breast-side up, into a roasting pan.
- Place chicken in 450 degree oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees and roast for 20 minutes per pound.
- Begin checking for doneness 20 minutes or so before expected time.
Note: USDA safe temperature for chicken is an internal temperature of 165 degrees. A meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh (without touching bone) is the safest way to measure this.
- Instead of salt and pepper use 1/4C paprika, 1t celery salt, 1/2 t garlic powder.
- Oil the roasting pan. Lay whole or half carrots, celery stalk and/ or onion wedges in the bottom. Place whole chicken on them and roast.
- Wedge your fingers under skin and tuck in some tabs of butter before roasting.
- Place a quartered lemon and two smashed garlic cloves into the chicken cavity before roasting.