Here’s another easy-to-prepare dish that’s “company worthy”, although it tastes so good that you may find it hard to share. The dish does take a bit of planning, though, since it needs to rest overnight so the other ingredients can soak into the sliced bread base. Don’t get fancy with the bread, any sliced loaf will do, although we prefer a sourdough. Once out of the oven there’s not a better way to start the day!
What You’ll Need:
- 6 slices bread, cubed
- 1lb breakfast sausage, browned and drained (ClemTuck Farm chicken breakfast sausage works great!)
- 2 Cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 large ClemTuck Farm eggs
- 2 Cups milk
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pepper to taste
- Spread the cubed bread evenly into the bottom of a greased 9X13 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle the sausage and cheese evenly over the bread.
- Beat together the eggs, milk, dry mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the other ingredients in the pan.
- Cover and chill overnight.
- Prior to baking, preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until set. Cover it loosely for the first 30 minutes then bake uncovered for the remaining time. Baking times may vary a bit depending on your oven. To check for doneness insert a knife into the middle of the pan to see how soft/firm the dish is.
- Remove from oven when done. Serve warm.